PLAYground is an exciting program, now in its second year, that showcases new works for children by Cleveland-area writers during this two-week intensive workshop in July of 2017. Writers (using local directors, and actors age 16 and up) will be given one week's rehearsal to showcase their works in true workshop fashion, book in hand, and one weekend to perform that workshop for the public, complete with audience talk-backs following performance. During the week, they are given full use of the TCT rehearsal space, stage, and access to puppets, props, and costumes.
PLAYground gives Cleveland-area writers a chance to put their work up on its feet, to help provide development of ideas, and exposure to the public. Plays submitted to PLAYground may be considered for future, full-stage production by TCT.
- PLAYground gives local writers a chance to develop their work in a professional environment, with support from TCT. After a week's rehearsal, the workshop piece will be presented to the public in two performances over one weekend.
- TCT will provide directors, stage managers, and actors--age 16 and up, rehearsal and performance space, their prop and puppet stock, and costumes. PLAYground will also be fully marketed as part of TCT's 2017 programming.
- PLAYground runs (including rehearsals) from July 1st through July 16th. Performances take place Saturdays, July 8th & 15th, and Sundays, July 9th & 16th. Each play will get two performances, and fully moderated talk-backs.
- CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:
- Opens: January 8, 2017 (Please do not submit PLAYground scripts prior to this date.)
Deadline for all submissions: March 1st
Submit: A preliminary script, with a list of characters, and a synopsis. It is understood that re-writes will happen between acceptance and rehearsals, but any major changes must be approved by TCT, as the work accepted must be recognizable by beginning of the program. All major changes to character must be completed by April 15th so that casting can begin at that time. Please make sure that your name and contact information--including email--is printed clearly on the front page of the submission. Submissions not clearly labeled will not be considered.
- Writers must be based in the Cleveland area. Out of state or out of region submissions will not be accepted for this program. (Please feel free to contact TCT at the email address below if you would like to know if your area is included.)
- Scripts must be an adaptation of, or based on, an international folktale, faerie tale, mythology, or work from another discipline (i.e. ballet, opera, orchestra, literature.)
- All materials on which work is based must be in the public domain. Scripts will not be considered if they are based on materials that hold current copyright.
- All materials on which work is based must be noted for reference. (i.e.: "this work is based on the German folktale, Ashputel.")
- All submissions must be world premieres. PLAYground will not accept scripts that have been performed at other establishments.
- Writers should be willing to work collaboratively with TCT and the artists involved in the program, and be available for rehearsals and all performances in the program.
- Submitting writers cannot have had a full production in any TCT producing season.
- Folksongs or appropriate music can be included, but orchestration and instrumentation must all be able to be produced vocally, or with alternate, available, creative instruments. TCT does not use pre-recorded materials. Musical direction will not be provided, and links to source music must be provided by writer.
- Scripts can be no longer than 45 pages.
WHERE TO SUBMIT:
Electronic copy (preferred): Please send a word or pdf document to firstname.lastname@example.org with "PLAYground Script Submission" in the subject header.
Paper copy: Please send a clearly printed copy to
Talespinner Children's Theatre
5209 Detroit Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44102
TCT will endeavor to make all play selections by March 15, 2017, and you will be notified by email.
Auditions are Saturday, May 19, 2017 from 12:30PM – 5:30PM for actors and students age 16 and up.
Auditions will be cold-readings by appointment in half-hour intervals. You'll only need to be there for one half-hour time slot. TCT will begin taking appointment requests on May 1, 2017 by email at email@example.com
Actors will only need to be available for rehearsals and productions in which they are directly involved.
More information about rehearsal times and which shows have been selected will be posted as it comes in. Stay tuned to this page to find out more!
2016 Winners - click to enlarge